Saturday, December 6, 2014

Love Me, But Let Me Go

My dear Grandmother passed away a few weeks back and I flew from Bangkok to Phoenix to participate in the memorial services that took place today. It was a wonderful service and a great way to honor the wonderful woman she was. From her laughter and smiles to her sensitivity and beauty, Grandma's life has left a loving impact on who I am today. Here are some photos of the memorial service and a poem she had hand copied several years ago.

When I come to the end of the road, And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room, Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little–but not too long, And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared, Miss me–but let me go.
For this is a journey that we all must take, And each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan, A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds, Miss Me–But Let me Go!

Beautiful flower arrangement with a butterfly wind chime...so appropriate for the lady who LOVED butterflies.

Chocolate covered bananas! Grandma would make these for us when we were young and oh how we loved them. Only fitting to have them at her service.
Dad did a GREAT job of conducting the service and providing the euology. I played a piano piece I composed and several of us shared our thoughts about Grandma.

At the end of the service, we went outside and the Airbase Arizona, CAF (Commemorative AirForce), of which my father is an active pilot, did two 360 circles with a smoke trail and then flew off into the West. We released 15 red balloons, at Grandma's request, and it was an emotional goodbye as we watched them float up into the heavens.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, sweet Grandma Betty. I'm so sorry she passed, but am happy she is at peace and not in pain. I will always remember her fondly, she had such spunk and life about her that forever changed my definition of "Grandma". I will make sure to tell my kids about her so they will at least know that she was an important person to me and what I learned from her in the little time I spent with her.

    ReplyDelete