My Dad’s wife, Chris, and her son, Aaron, joined us the day after we returned from Koh Samet. On Monday, we did an all day bicycle tour of Bangkok. Even though I work downtown, I was surprised at how much I hadn’t seen of the city I’ve worked in for 1.5 years.
I told everyone we needed to be on the road no later than 6:30am to beat the crazy Monday morning traffic. I might have said this more than once.
We got on the road about 6:45am and paid for it. It was a little over 2 hours to get from our house to downtown (normally takes 40 minutes in no traffic). So we arrived a bit stressed about almost missing our appointment, but the bicycle folks (FollowMe tours) were really cool about it…after all, we’re in Thailand, where nothing is on time.
I was surprised that our bikes were nice and mostly new and in working order. All bikes to date we’ve rented here are from the 50s and are covered in rust and have brakes that hardly work…so happy surprise! Our guide had excellent English and did a great job at showing us around the city and even took photos of us throughout the day and provided drinks and snacks.
We mostly took alleyways and bicycle paths and only had to be on busy roads about 10% of the time. That was really nice.
We took a ferry across the river and saw some beautiful temples with some impressive statue Buddhas. Our guide explained a lot about Buddhism that we didn’t know and answered a lot of our questions.
We loved the flower market. Amazing what they make out of flowers!
So a truly great day and we highly recommend a bike tour for anyone coming to Bangkok!
No comments:
Post a Comment