Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Weekend in Rayong

With the protests and being more or less locked into Nichada for 2 weeks and then with my 2 weeks in the States, Candace and I decided we needed a quick getaway trip with the family to unwind.  We had Friday off because of a Thai public holiday and we went down to Rayong to enjoy the beach.

The beach is a 20 km stretch of sand and pine trees (yea, pine trees…go figure).  There were gentle waves and it was a great place for the kids to play for hours and hours.  The drive took a lot more than the estimated 2.5 hours, but it was nice to get out of Nichada and away from work for a day or two.

After a great afternoon and evening at the beach, we walked back to the hotel, showered up, and caught dinner at a local joint just down the street.  We were all pretty exhausted after a long day of driving and beach.

IMG_2885IMG_2888IMG_2883IMG_2900

The next morning we packed up (too short) and went to the local aquarium.  I was impressed with the facility.  It was really well done and had a lot of great sea life to see.  The kids loved it (although they were sure it would be boring at the start)…I keep telling them, just trust Dad.  I’m always right.  Winking smile

IMG_2906IMG_2903IMG_2909IMG_2913

The drive home was a good 5 hours, but we had a wonderful dinner with one of my coworkers and enjoyed their company.  Feels good to be making close friends here too.

If we did the trip again, we’d extend it by at least a day.

IMG_2901

Here’s a photo of what I think is a cashew tree…not positive, but with fruit like that, what else could it be??

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I would love to "just take a weekend trip to a tropical beach":). Glad you are safe after the travels and protests! It's neat to see how the kids are growing.

    ReplyDelete