We’ve been in Thailand for 7 months and I just had my first trip back to the States. A couple of initial impressions of the “mother land” having been abroad for a while:
- Life is easy in America – I know life is hard for each individual, but really, compared to living in Asia, living in America is pretty darn easy. Want a non-slip pad to put under your rug? Just run to Home Depot. Color, size, quality and good price all in one stop. Want the same thing in Thailand? Spend 2-3 months and you still won’t have what you’re looking for. Thirsty? Just take a drink from the faucet. Any faucet. Public restroom? Sure, they are all over and free. Gasoline? Cheap and abundant. Roads where drivers (mostly) obey the rules and you’re pretty safe in betting that there won’t be awful traffic at 11pm. Count your blessings, America.
- Thai food in America isn’t too good – I tried a place near the Galleria and was really disappointed. No wonder many Americans don’t like Asian food – it’s generally not done right in the States.

- It’s cold! Wow, I had no idea how much I had adapted to Thailand until I got off the plane and it was 50 degrees. Brrrr! To say nothing of the Tuesday I was there and was stuck in the hotel because of ice and snow. I’ll keep my humidity and heat, thank you.
- Infatuation with the body. Why does Houston have to have billboards ever quarter mile selling adult sex products, body enhancements, etc.? Americans are infatuated with their bodies (and others’). Life is so much more abundant than constantly dwelling on the perfect body or its sexual appetites. Grow up, America.
- Friends. I went to church both Sundays I was there and it was delightful seeing our old friends. They made me feel like a returning king. Life is about family and friends and very little else matters.
Here’s some photos of the great (albeit really cold) trip.
One of my friends/co-workers has been telling me about bacon ice cream. He did me the favor of bringing some one of my days there. Wow. It was good, but I’ve run 20 miles since and am still trying to burn it off!
I spent WAY too much time working on this trip. I averaged 12-14 hour days, easily.
I got stuck in Tokyo, Japan due to a winter snow storm. Slept (loose use of the term) in this lovely lounge and tried to make the best of a 24 hour delay. 2 cheers to those who actively say kind things in tough situations…I noticed your efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment