Saturday, August 3, 2013

Moving…One. Last. Time.

With the end of July came the need to move from our hotel to our home in North Bangkok (Nichada Thani).  Candace and I are ready to be done packing and moving.  Let me put this in perspective: by the time we’re in our home in Nichada, we will have lived in 7 different locations in 2 months.  Each of those locations required us to repack bags, move everything, and resettle.  With a family of 6, that’s a LOT.  Smile

That being said, we are THRILLED to be moving into our home and to see all of our stuff again. 

Candace spent the week before our last move repacking the hotel room.  She did great – it was no small feat to fit all of our 6 big air shipment boxes and 24 luggage/duffels into the 2 cars we were allotted to move up to Nichada.

IMG_1456

We opted to move out of the hotel on Saturday and sleep on air mattresses in our house for 2 nights so we were a bit more settled when our sea shipment container was delivered on Monday.  Again, because I have the world’s best wife, she had packed air mattresses and bedding for the short camp out in our house.  Amazing.

A bit about our house: When I came house hunting back in late March, I looked both in downtown Bangkok as well as an expat suburb in the north, called Nichada Thani.  While there were several nice homes downtown, I just didn't see my family of 6 enjoying the ubber urban lifestyle Bangkok offers.  That was good foresight.  After 30 days downtown, we were all ready to enjoy some quieter, more tree-filled living.  We’re just more of a suburbia kind of family.

IMG_1465IMG_1464

So when I was brought to Nichada Thani, I fell in love with it immediately.  It has wide, clean streets with bike lanes that the kids can ride their bikes to school on.  Tons of tropical trees.  Lots of families and kids to play with. The school is the best in Thailand and is a whole 5 minutes away.  It’s perfect.

Turns out the family agrees with me!  They love Nichada.  They also love the fact that our house has a pool in the backyard.  I have to admit it’s really nice to be able to go swimming whenever you want and not have to pack up everything. 

Our first day here, the kids wasted no time in trying out the pool.

IMG_1457IMG_1458

Our housekeeper, Khun Jah, greeted us warmly again and made us an amazing welcome home meal.  We love Khun Jah!

IMG_1467

Half of our stuff arrived on Monday.  The movers did great and moved everything in quickly and without damage.  It was SOOO great to see our stuff again…most especially our beds and our beloved piano.  How wonderful it was to sit down and play again.  We’re home.

IMG_1468IMG_1469IMG_1470IMG_1472


Quick aside: We decided to paint our walls with different colors than what the landlord was going to do (white everywhere).  We gave the kids the choice of any color for their rooms.  We've not done that before really, so they were thrilled.  It was fun to go around and pick out colors and then arrive at our house and have it all painted!  We’ll post more about the house once it’s not filled with boxes everywhere…

IMG-20130717-00061IMG-20130717-00064

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the house looks amazing! So nice. I'm glad you found such a lovely place and are getting settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finally being "home"...it has been a test of your patience but now you and the family can enjoy and settle into a routine without having to repack!!! What colors did the kiddos choose??? Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks so nice! And the car is so shiney! I bet it feels so good to be a bit more settled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleh, I hate moving just so so much, but I'm happy for you that it's all done! And your place looks so great. Three cheers for you all!

    ReplyDelete