Tonight, I thought I’d share some of the things that are crazy, beautiful, different, and just plain fun about living in Bangkok.
Crazy
The Thais definitely have a different way of doing lots of things. Some of them I love (greetings), some I hate (driving), and some I just scratch my chin (see photo below):
I would think that stringing 100 power and telephone lines onto poles would make it REALLY hard to keep track of what’s what, what’s hot, what’s dead, etc. You can easily walk into these while walking on sidewalks and especially on pedestrian overpasses. Always freaks me out.
Beautiful
Nature here is amazing. I LOVE the tropical trees, flowers, birds, and shrubs. It’s like I live in the heart of a tropical paradise…come to think of it, I guess I do! The sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous.
The following video was meant to show how crazy hard it rains almost everyday right now (we’re in the midst of rainy season), but it also shows the beautiful fauna all around our house:
Different
While driving home from work last week, we ran into some “interesting” traffic. This is on a major expressway here…
Great
At church last week, we had a multi-congregation, multi-lingual meeting with a visiting church authority. It was great to hear familiar hymns sung in Thai and to listen to Thai speakers through a translator (using the IR headsets below).
I love how international Bangkok is. I had lunch today with a chap from the UK, a gent from Holland, a man from Singapore, and yours truly. Love it.
We are REALLY enjoying our time here. I guess the best measure of that is this: someone asked me recently how much I miss home. I thought about it and honestly replied, “Not much at all. Besides not seeing friends and family, we don’t miss much! We love Thailand!”
I think I need to come visit.....
ReplyDelete